Social Media Design
Social Media Marketing & Communications
Note: This course was developed and is currently being taught by Peter von Stackelberg at Alfred State College (SUNY).
Upon completion of this course, the student will understand the key concepts of social media and their application in today’s business environment. This course is designed specifically to address business needs related to the design, development, and implementation of social media projects in areas such as customer relationship management (CRM), marketing and public relations, and internal organizational communication. In addition to the presentation of key concepts via lectures, this course will use case studies to illustrate business applications of social media, and hands-on projects in which students will create their personal social “brand” online. Students will also work on a larger team project that involves the development of a social media project for a not for profit organization that is selected and approved in coordination with the faculty.
NOTE: The student learning outcomes and learning objectives are in the process of being revised as a result of feedback from instructors and students participating in the first class on this topic. Please keep that in mind when reading this material.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the end of the course, the student will be able to do the following:
- Explain what social media is
- Prioritize commonly used social media platforms applied in business.
- Examine the use of social media in businesses today.
- Analyze an organization’s business objectives and apply social media to help the organization achieve those objectives.
- Integrate the key principles of social media dynamics into a project.
- Assess the ethical dilemmas that businesses face as they use social media.
- Propose a social media strategy.
- Create a social media marketing and/or branding project.
- Justify the risk associated with business engaging in social media as a communication channel.
- Construct and evaluate social media analytics, metrics and measurement to determine the effectiveness of social media projects.
- Assess best practices for engagement with internal and external customers with particular emphasis on ethical and legal responsibilities.
- Define “social media”
- Identify the categories of social media
- Describe the differences between traditional mass media and social media
- Describe the characteristics of:
- Vertical user engagement
- Horizontal user engagement
- Describe the business impacts of social media
- Describe how social media is changing marketing and communications
- Set up social media channels
- Apply branding concepts to a personal social media presence
- Develop personal online biographies/profiles
- Define “user engagement”
- Explain the uses and gratifications of social media
- Identify specific categories of media uses and gratifications
- Apply media uses and gratifications to social media
- Describe the social network life cycle
- Identify the stages of the social media campaign process
- Identify the steps in designing a social media campaign
- Explain why business objectives must be considered when designing a social media campaign
- Explain how a social media campaign fits into an organization’s overall marketing and communications strategy
- Identify specific social media campaign objectives
- Identify social media campaign target audience
- Identify social media campaign target communities
- Identify risks associated with social media campaigns
- Identify the social media campaign value proposition
- Develop the social media campaign core message
- Create a social media marketing/communications plan
- Select social media channels
- Set up social media channels
- Integrate social media channels into coherent and cohesive campaign
- Develop content for social media campaigns
- Use storytelling techniques in social media campaigns
- Explain how social games are used in business
- Apply social games to social media campaigns
- Explain how transmedia narratives are used in business
- Apply transmedia narrative techniquest to social media campaigns
- Apply principles of visual communication to social media campaigns
- Write content for social media campaigns
- Implement a social media campaign
- Release campaign content into social media channels
- Monitor and evaluate a social media campaign
- Monitor and respond to comments and other types of feedback
- Use Google Analytics to monitor and assess a social media campaign
- Assess impact of social media campaign on business objectives
- Adjust social media campaign tactics and strategy based on monitoring and assessment results