2. Social Media & Marketing/Communications
Topics (Week 2)
- Social Media In Marketing & Business Communications
- Definition of Marketing
- Definition of Communications & Public Relations
- Role of Marketing, Communications & Public Relations in Business
- Impact of Social Media on Marketing, Communications & Public Relations
- Social Media: How It Affects Your Business (YouTube)
- Unlocking the Elusive Potential of Social Networks (McKinsey Quarterly)
- Beyond Paid Media: Marketing’s New Vocabulary (McKinsey Quarterly)
- How We See It: Three Senior Executives on the Future of Marketing (McKinsey Quarterly)
- The Importance of Social Media Strategy (YouTube)
Read/view, make some notes, and be prepared to discuss these in class.
NOTE: You will need to register with the McKinsey Quarterly site to access the complete articles. It is free.
Assignment 2: Create Personal Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+ Accounts
Due Date: Check Google Calendar
Create accounts on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+. If you already have one or more of these accounts, you can:
- Retain your current account(s) and ensure that their content is appropriate for a professional audience
- Create a new account(s) that you can use for classroom and professional purposes
Submission Requirements: You must submit these assignments as follows:
- Send a Facebook friend request to Mr. von Stackelberg
- Follow Mr. von Stackelberg’s Twitter feed at “socmediaprof“.
- Send a LinkedIn connect request to Mr. von Stackelberg.
- Include Mr. von Stackelberg in a Google+ “circle” you’ve created specifically for this class.
You should also seek out and connect with other members of this class.
NOTE: You will have some computer lab time to complete this assignment. If you encounter a problem or have questions, ask for help during the computer lab.